Many years ago, the insurance broker Gideon left his home in Windhoek and walked barefoot through the Namib Desert surviving on what nature had to offer until he reached the coast after days of walking. Since then, he is called “Bushman”.
His passion for the desert led him to start a new life in the Namib near Solitaire. He built a camp and offered tours into the desert. Together with his wife Yuri - a Japanese guest who visited his camp and with whom he fell in love – and his two children, they built more campsites and beautiful self-catering chalets, offering their guests unforgettable walking safaris and excursions into the desert as well as sleep-outs under the magic African sky. Listening to Bushman’s stories at the fireside will change your view of life and connects you back to nature.
Wind down, relax, and you will leave the beautiful Namib desert with a lot of peace and acceptance.
- 12 spacious en-suite twin-bedded chalets
- Max. guests: 24
- Solar powered
- Self-catering (meals are prepared by the guide)
- No Wi-Fi
- No air conditioner (but chalets are very airy)
- Small splash pool
- No restaurant but catering on request
- Small but licensed bar
- Functions can be arranged
Bushman’s Desert Camp uses solar power for electricity. Grey water is gathered, filtered and returned back to nature. Most vegetables used for salads are supplied from their own garden. Only a minimum amount of dead trees are used for firewood.
Bushman’s Desert Camp also has three bigger and a few smaller campsites with private ablution.
- Guided desert excursions
- Guided or self-guided walks and hikes
- Sleep-outs in the dunes (catered or self-catered)
- Waterhole in front of the bar where you can see Mountain Zebras and Oryx Antilopes very close