Around 1870 Martti Rautanen, a Finnish missionary, travelled north from Otjimbingwe in the Erongo region to an area known as Owamboland, where in 1889 he built a church. He was nicknamed 'Nakambale', after the hat he always wore which resembled a basket or 'okambale' turned upside down.
In 2019, Jochen Beckert signed a lease agreement with the local community to lease the church property. The main condition was, that he will invest in the area, provide jobs and have the historical site restored.
Which is exactly what he did! The result is an amazing natural historical site for everyone to visit and enjoy. For example, the “settlers house” is the oldest tin roof building in the north.
The museum and traditional village is visited by various school groups, whilst families frequent the restaurant with an outdoor pizza oven, as well as the pool.
The old historical church is the perfect location for weddings and even the departed are acknowledged in the well-maintained graveyard.
Located just 5 km from the town of Oniipa, Namibians are amazed by the treasure on their front door and visitors are simply overwhelmed by the traditions and friendliness of the Owambo people, the largest cultural group in the country.
- 15 spacious en-suite tents with air conditioner
- Restaurant and Bar
- Pool for in-house residents only
- 7 camping sites with 6 separate ablutions
- 5 glamping sites, fully serviced but with shared ablutions
- Separate Pool for glamping and camping guests only
- WIFI - at times